Thursday, October 24, 2013

Visualizing Translation #5

Anna Zielinska-Elliott writes:

While translating Chapter 15 of Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki, in which Tsukuru visits his former friend at her summer house in Finland, I kept imagining the scenery described in the book. The summer house is a wooden cabin with a small porch and a brick chimney located in the woods on the bank of a large lake. There are a lot of pines and birches. Between the trees one can catch a glimpse of water; there is a small pier and a little plastic boat, which keeps knocking against it. It is slightly windy and a little cloudy. We know that it is near a town called Hämeenlinna.

Since the translator often projects his or her own experiences onto the text, I found myself imagining a house in the Polish lake region of Mazury. However, Hämeenlinna is located much further north, so perhaps the scenery is somewhat different?  I decided to Google "Hämenlinna Lake" and see what I could come up with.

Here are some images I found:









And here is a short movie showing Hämeenlinna and the surrounding area from a plane. You can see the green-roofed church, about which I wrote in August, and a beautiful castle by the lake that Olga, the Finnish travel agent, mentions to Tsukuru.




1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete