Sunday, May 12, 2013

The NATION (Bangkok newspaper) prints the report of Murakami's public appearance


Moving out from the cold

In an all-too-rare lecture, author Haruki Murakami opens up about himself

In an extremely rare public appearance, best-selling author Haruki Murakami opened up about himself and the worlds of his novels in a lecture at Kyoto University last Monday.

"My profession is writing. So I'd rather not get involved with things [other than writing]," Murakami, 64, said when asked about his reclusive nature.

"I'd really appreciate if you treated me like an endangered Iriomote wild cat. So even if you spot me, I want you to observe me from a distance," the writer joked with an audience of about 500 people.

Fans from across the nation gathered for his lecture at the university's ClockTower Centennial Hall. Titled "Tamashii o Miru, Tamashii o Kaku" ("Observing a Soul, Writing a Soul"), the interview-style event was held to commemorate the establishment of literary prizes named after clinical psychologist Hayao Kawai.

Murakami, who was close to Kawai, also spoke about his memories with the late psychologist and his latest book, "Shikisai o Motanai Tazaki Tsukuru to Kare no Junrei no Toshi" ("Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage").

[...]


At the end of his lecture, Murakami left the audience, saying: "Sometimes I hear people saying, 'I cried a lot' when they read my books. But I'd be happier if they told me they couldn't stop laughing. Sorrow causes you to turn inward, but laughter broadens your mind."

Read the whole thing here (but you've read it already ...):
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/life/Moving-out-from-the-cold-30205911.html

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete